Skip to main content

Nor'easter and Unpacking

The movers finally showed up. Scheduled for Saturday, I was happy they were delayed as we had a Nor'easter come through with rain/snow mix and strong winds. Of course, we lost power and internet as well. 

What was a little disconcerting was the time it took to restore power. Lost power Friday night and didn't get restored until sometime Sunday afternoon. It got a little cold in the house as the pumps for the radiant heat are powered by electricity. Thankfully it wasn't a super cold front that moved through - high 20s and low 30s. Still it made me wonder why so much of the house is powered by electricity - the ovens, cooktop, pumps, etc. are all electric. We were quite happy when the power came back on so we could all warm up. Unfortunately the internet was still down. We didn't get restored until late Monday. Spectrum was not a great partner in the outage, listing status as "investigating" even when the service was restored. At least with comcast I was getting some idea of how long it would take to restore things. 

We even lost cell service for a period of time - apparently the local tower was either on generator or batteries and one of the two ran out. 

It wasn't terrible tho - we didn't open the fridges or anything, just ate what we could scrounge up, and drove into town to get more supplies when necessary. Driving wasn't too challenging - the Maine plow drivers were out in force overnight and the roads never really jammed up. The plow service we hired came in and cleared the driveway in record time. I just had to do a little cleanup here and there. I did learn that I want to park the cars in the garage. Scraping off 4 inches of snow where the last 1/2" is ice was no fun.

Saw a few accidents and we lost the top 20' or so of a tree in the front - nothing damaged other than the tree which is now hanging about 20' off the ground, sideways.

Movers rescheduled for monday 9-12. Never showed up, never called. No communication. Finally gave up at 5. Next day I get a call from the special movers (we crated some things up so they wouldn't get damaged). The special movers said Tuesday was the day! Got the crated things early in the day, but still no movers until 330pm. This was unfortunate as the sun sets at about 415pm. 

Finally got everything in the house about 9pm and crashed after a long day. Some broken things as we unpack, none of the really valuable things so far, which is really good.

Wednesday I had my electrician (Oleg) over to wire in a Ring security cam - works a treat, and gives some light to the side yard at night so I can see the dogs when they go out.

Today I have the plumber in doing a few things and as always, nothing is easy or fast. The main water valve for the house has a steady leak, so we're replacing that. Also installing an under-sink water filter. I know my wife looks forward to filtered water.


  1. I am very much obliged to you for sharing this necessary knowledge. This information is very helpful for everyone. So please always share this kind of information. Thanks once again for sharing it. pls visit our website Kitchen Remodeling Contractors In San Antonio

  2. A very delightful article that you have shared extension Your blog is a valuable and engaging article for us, and also I will share it with my companions who need this info. Thankful to you for sharing an article like this.

  3. Very well written article. It was an awesome article to read. about Infill panels gold coast Complete rich content and fully informative. I totally Loved it.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final move...

Well, I spent last weekend doing the final packing of the old house. We closed on Tuesday before thanksgiving and we're thrilled needless to say. It's been a lot of work packing up the old house, and I can only begin to imagine what will happen in the new house. I'm not saying I'm not going back to California someday, but at least for now, we're going to try something different. Of course, the day I left for California, a pipe burst out by the pool house. Luckily my son saw it and after a few hours, we were able to get some help to shut off the water to that pipe. Shutting it off meant we had to first shut off water to the house, which resulted in the main valve now having a leak. We'll see our new plumber Tuesday or Wednesday to sort things out.  The trials of an old house are endless, but frankly it's a bit fun when I'm home. When I'm not home, it's not so much fun.

The road trip to Maine

I was able to ship one of the cars to Maine for a reasonable price ($1500). That worked out well, and only took about 5 days. Surprising as it's 3400 miles! Apparently the driver does not sleep. But there was a problem, I have 3 german shepherd dogs. And they needed to get across country along with the SUV. So the family decided I was going to drive the car with the dogs. I called my good friend John up and asked if he wanted to drive across country - it would be fun I said, and weirdly, he said OK.  The good news, only one of the dogs was with me in Pacific Grove. Sacha the white male GSD was in PG, the other two were in Salt Lake City at our dog trainers. If you need a dog trainer for sport or protection dogs, David Broderick at  Innovative K9  is your man. Seriously great work, really nice guy. We've known him since before he was famous, and he is a magician with dogs. I can't say enough good things about David and his academy.  So two weeks ago, I through the bullet roo